Nyhavn was constructed by King Christian V from 1670-73, dug by Swedish war prisoners from the Dano-Swedish War 1658–1660, as a gateway from the sea to the old inner city at Kongens Nytorv (King’s Square), where ships would unload their cargo and the fishermen their daily catch. Notorious for beer, sailors, and prostitution, the area developed an infamous reputation. Danish author Hans Christian Andersen lived at Nyhavn 18 for some years.